SWPHO support for Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA)
In March 2007, Department of Health (DH) published the Commissioning Framework for Health and Wellbeing
. This consultation document was aimed at commissioners and providers of services in health, social care and Local Authorities.
The Commissioning Framework introduces the idea of a Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA) to inform Primary Care Trusts and Local Authorities of the health and wellbeing of the local community, and in planning ahead for services in the short, medium and long term. Appendix A of the Commissioning Framework includes a minimum dataset which should assist in this process.
Further guidance regarding Joint Strategic Needs Assessment was published by the Department of Health on 13 December 2007 and is available from the Department of Health website.
The Association of Public Health Observatories (APHO) has produced a JSNA resource pack to inform the JSNA process. Papers discussing statistical validity, projection methods, data sharing and measuring inequalities are now
available on the APHO website.
The South West Public Health Observatory (SWPHO) has identified a number of ways in which this process can be supported and has outlined these in its document, South West Public Health Observatory support for Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
The resources developed as a result of this will be added to the SWPHO website on an ongoing basis. See below for links to current resources and tools.
For further information, please contact
(Tel: 0117 970 6474)
Population projections for Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
Joint Strategic Needs Assessment Discussion Group
From Joint Strategic Needs Assessment to outcomes: Workshop 1
From Joint Strategic Needs Assessment to outcomes: Workshop 2
Datasets to support Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
Association of Public Health Observatories Technical Briefings
The good indicators guide
Planned resources include:
- Interactive Hospital Admissions mapping tool
- Causes of hospital admissions and deaths benchmarking tool
Please see our South West Public Health Observatory support for Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
document for details.
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) in the South West have produced Joint Strategic Needs Assessment briefing tools, now available on the HPA website
The tools are aimed at supporting and contributing to the Joint Strategic Needs Assessment process and the identification of local public health priorities and contain graphs and maps to illustrate the following indicators with comparisons with England and the South West region where available:
- The incidence rate of tuberculosis per 100 000 population (2000-2006)
- Reports of chlamydia trachomatis from laboratories and genito-urinary medicine clinics with rates derived from the laboratory reports (2002-2006) where possible
- A map of the South West region showing rates of HIV-infected patients seen for care in 2006 per 100 000 population
- The percentage uptake rate for Diphtheria Tetanus and Pertussis (DTP) and Measles Mumps Rubella (MMR) immunisations at 24 months (2003/4-2006/7)
- A map of the local area showing the percentage of homes at or above the action level for radon (taken from the Indicative Atlas of Radon in England and Wales produced by the HPA and the British Geological Survey in 2007)
- Graphs showing the prevalence of blood borne virus infections (HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C) among injecting drug users (IDUs) 1998-2006 where available. These figures are obtained from the unlinked anonymous prevalence survey carried out by the HPA.
The East Midlands Public Health Observatory provide links to numerous sources of information relevant to Joint Strategic Needs Assessment. See:
Resources are also provided by the Eastern Region Public Health Observatory.